the meaning of life.

so are you saying that its scientifically impossible to show the purpose of a species?

I think it would be impossible to 'prove' a purpose, one could 'suggest purpose but there will always be too much that is unknown.

The only thing I feel certain about is that all species purpose is, as a minimum, 'to reproduce' /ttiforum/images/graemlins/yum.gif

the purpose of a species?

Wasn't your question.

what is the scientific definition of the meaning of life?

This was your question.

Seems like a set-up to debate over terminology...care to define exactly what " purpose of a species " means to you verses " the meaning of life " ?

My problem with what you term as the meaning of life,

is a simple description of vanity....

You, OP, would like to see a specific outcome, or a meaning....

why is it important?

Would you like your offspring, to BECOME something?

Its not as if you will live forever..NOR will your offspring.. so why care?

unless you would not like them to suffer at the hands of another offspring..

So starts the game..... so what are we playing?

So starts the game..... so what are we playing?

The Controllers Games...

+Desinfo
+Cover Up
=Hidden Agendas...

/ttiforum/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ttiforum/images/graemlins/devil.gif /ttiforum/images/graemlins/devil.gif :oops:

so are you saying that its scientifically impossible to show the purpose of a species?

Do you have a definition of the word "purpose"? One that is precise enough and rigorous enough to be used in a scientific discussion?

I don't think such a definition is possible. At least not within the context of our current understanding of the cosmos.

what is the scientific definition of the meaning of life?

The scientific purpose of life is very simple. Breed and die.
Of course we have to eat and all that other stuff in between but life has 3 functions mainly.

1 Birth.
2. Breed.
3. Death.

So the meaning of life is to get all you can before you kick the bucket.

I think you can eliminate #3, Death, from the list. After you reproduce, you become biologically irrelevant. In other words, you lose your purpose to life itself. Hasta la vista, as an Arnold character says.

Some abductees have said that they were told the aliens view the physical body as 'containers.'

The purpose of a wine bottle is to contain wine. If there is no wine in the bottle it is of little use or purpose (except mainly as a candle holder?). /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

im not really good at explaining all that science, physics, & even philosophy stuff, but one thing i know about life is, it's inevitable. it's just about what you know & you don't know....

it's like a river that spontaneously flows... you either flow or hang on to a rock. but we all know that if you do hang on to that rock, you might get bruised or get wounded. if you'll flow with it, you'll reach your destination whether smoothly or not.

it's all about moving on & developing and improving..... nothing really special about it unless trials come and there goes the spice..... cycle...

and another thing, i belive in karma: both good and bad. so whatever happens to you, reflects what you think & do toward others. & it's all objective....

the decisions you make, the opportunities you grab, the principles you withhold, things you learn, experiences you go through, the failures and mistakes you make, the people that you meet and interact with, the values you possess and keep, & so the actions you execute.....all make it as to what your life is....

just that you are the sole generator of your own life...

scientific purpose of life is very simple. Breed and die.
Of course we have to eat and all that other stuff in between but life has 3 functions mainly.

1 Birth.
2. Breed.
3. Death.

So the meaning of life is to get all you can before you kick the bucket.

That would only be true if you assume that winning the "game" of natural selection is the sole purpose of life. And this assumption is completely baseless.

Besides, even if it were true, the meaning of life wouldn't be "to get all you can before you kick the bucket". A hedonistic lifestyle has nothing to do with natural selection. In the game of evolution, it doesn't matter how much fun you have or how many toys you accumulate. Evolution does not expect you to have fun. It expects you to have children /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think it would be wrong to use old people as candle holders

Ah! But can you prove that it's wrong, scientifically?