the meaning of life.

Depends on what you consider life to be. Intelligent or no ? Biological or no ? Would the present ever change whether there was life as we know it or not ?

The Universe waits for no man.

"Depends on what you consider life to be."

life is a constant modifier of the present.

"Would the present ever change whether there was life as we know it or not ?"

the better question is, would there be anything TO change if there was no life?

"The Universe waits for no man."

except, of course, when it has to use the bathroom. /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

but seriously though, if there were no movement, the universe would have never been created via the big bang, correct? so would that mean that life is what created the big bang?

they say the universe is ever expanding. does this mean that the universe itself is alive? and since the universe is not infinite, what is outside of it? could our universe simply be a cell?

Depends on what you consider life to be...was answered when you asked if the Universe itself was life. As you pointed out...are we perhaps merely a microcosm of a larger system of life...as the cells within our body are a microcosm of a greater whole ?

Would there be anything TO change if there was no life...I believe that as soon as the first vibration began, change became a constant.

Life creating the Big Bang..so we like to assume, however, if it is as has been theorized, one Universe/dimension slamming into the other, the impact causing the movement within or upon the other...no life required with that scenario.

Is life a constant modifier of the present, or is the present the modifier of life ? There is a difference.

Isnt there ?

What exists beyond this Universe, and the next, and the next...is fun to ponder, but will lead to nowhere but to a Tylenol moment.

"Is life a constant modifier of the present, or is the present the modifier of life ?"

the past, present, and future could all be modifiers of life, and to me, is not important. what is important is: what is the meaning of life?

i believe life is nothing but a constant modifier of the present, technically speaking.

what is the meaning of life?

I believe it comes down to the individual. What does "your" life mean to "you" ? I believe the meaning of life is what "you" make it to be, and not depending on anyone else to determine what life might mean according to their own perspective.

Happyness, contentment, serenity, and security truely are not destination's, but are things you take "along with you" during "your" journey.

It has been said that eternity exists between the here and now.

What happened yesterday is a done deal, what happens tommorrow, if you live your life in the here and now, takes care of itself.

Honestly, if the Earth disintegrated into nothing but dust right now...would the Universe even notice ?

If the meaning of life for you is that life is the modifier of the present, then, whether I agree or not, so it is.

" Would God be God, if there was no one or nothing to be God to " ?

i think you are misunderstanding me a bit. im not really looking at a single organism, im looking at the universe as a whole.

" Would God be God, if there was no one or nothing to be God to " ?

yes and no. of course the tree fell, but noone was there to verify it, so it is not accepted.

i imagine it like this, motion came from life. without life, motion would cease to exist eventually. from what i understand, overunity is impossible. so eventually, the universe would wind down and then, stop. it would expend all of its energy(life). its an interesting thought at the least.

so maybe its man stops for no universe eh? /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A great man (who was also a Jesuit priest) once claimed that the "meaning" (purpose) of life is nothing more than to evolve.

He claimed that the purpose of fundamental elements was to evolve to molecules. The purpose of molecules to evolve into single-celled organisms. The purpose of single-celled organisms to evolve into living systems. The purpose of living systems to evolve into conscious systems. The purpose of conscious systems to evolve into... the Omega point?

That great man was Teilhard de Chardin. And I think he was onto something... especially since the concept of thermodynamic entropy aligns quite well with his idea of evolution progressing to higher levels of complexity.

RMT

Then to me spoke He, the Master: “Know ye, O Hermes, in the beginning there was void and nothingness: a timeless, spaceless, nothingness. And into the nothingness came a thought, purposeful, all-pervading, and It filled the Void. There existed no matter, only force, a movement, a vortex of vibration of the purposeful thought that filled the Void.”

The only thing constant in life is change, however it seems apparent that dichotomy is also a constant in the physical universe as we are able to observe it so...

I believe life, the universe and everything is energy which consciously or unconsciously manifests all matter and non-matter. We have been given a very small piece of that energy, and like an FM radio signal our life is representative of an unmodulated carrier. All the things we change even by thought alone modulates this carrier through the energy field. Since time and physical space are intangible things which you cannot pick up and place somewhere for later, our perception of time is much like the propagation of a radio wave as it travels through the energy field of the physical universe. Since ancient beliefs include such things as the Akasha, I feel it aligns with this theory, and things like the Akashic records are very possible. In fact Dr. Raymond Moody's book and video on near death experiences indicates as much. Interviews with people who were clinically dead that came back were able to describe experiences of a similar phenomenon where they experienced their entire life without chronological progression, and experienced the lives of others which their life interacted with (ripple effect). I take this to mean if you are helpful or a big jerk to someone, you get to experience that portion of that persons life as if you were them but also having them present to explain each feeling/sensation through a process more like osmosis rather than traditional communication... e.g. you'll just know it, and there will be no doubt as to it's authenticity... no one is able to lie to eternity /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This "we are energy" theory is rather old and from many diverse cultures. I personally believe we are little more than experience platforms for the energy which is everything and at some point we will return to it as a less discreet component with the possibility of returning here or some other place in some other form once again being once again more disconnected from energy in order to facilitate experience.

Either way if this is wrong or close to the nature of our lives there is an old Lakota saying... "Mitakuye Oysain" which means we are all connected, and I believe this goes for all things which are physical that we could know or things we are not physical which we will never be able to understand... all are part of one energy.

If everyone lived their life knowing they would have to face a "higher self" and live the experiences of the people they have helped or offended in this physical world and there was no way of denying those experiences perhaps it would not matter why we are here or exactly what we are... people need to be nice to each other, stop scaring people with fairy tails of vengeful gods and devils and stop dominating things and all life. The physical system we are in is a self-correcting one... it will survive just fine without us.

The only thing constant in life is change, however it seems apparent that dichotomy is also a constant in the physical universe as we are able to observe it so...

Just add Entropy, and its solved...

/ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ttiforum/images/graemlins/yum.gif :D

Apparently 10% of teenagers think life is meaningless..........I suspect that the figure is higher, it is just a phase gone through during the passage to adulthood /ttiforum/images/graemlins/yum.gif

what is the meaning of life?

fourty-two.

And on a more serious note: I think that the meaning of life is whatever meaning you give choose to give it.

There isn't any.

The scientific method has absolutely nothing to say about "meaning". You can't test claims about the meaning of life in the laboratory. Science can only tell you which model of reality is better aligned with the cold hard facts. Any question of "meaning" is left outside the equation... at least as far as science is concerned.