Moving the lab

I thought long and hard about the DeLorean set, but am going to do without. Super tempting though. My kids have a couple Minecraft and Mario sets mixed in with everything thouh. Eventually I'll get them all sorted and sold, so that money can go towards our homestead :) image.webp

I thought long and hard about the DeLorean set, but am going to do without. Super tempting though. My kids have a couple Minecraft and Mario sets mixed in with everything thouh. Eventually I'll get them all sorted and sold, so that money can go towards our homestead :)
Well, sometimes pieces go missing from sets.. luckily there's some interesting solutions I've figured out. I've managed to print lego pieces, at some point I gathered a huge amount of stl files for lego pieces and I've actually successfully printed some pieces before (some years back using a printer that wasn't my own). There are also programs that let you build with lego pieces virtually, like Stud.io

The really interesting thing I've found out is this; Anyone can download lego build instructions for free. This also means you can see all the pieces of a particular set, so if some be missing you could potentially just 3d print them or get them from other sets or from sites like bricklink/brickshelf...

I've built the large Spyrius robot even though I never got the box set of it, I had enough pieces from other sets and by downloading the build instructions I could make my own version at some point.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/back-to-the-future-time-machine-10300 (and down to the right)

building-instructions-for-10300.webp

https://hackaday.com/blog/?s=lego+sort

Just in case someone might be interested.

Also, a homestead? Like out in the country? I'd be interested to see photos from that.

Oh yes, I'm well versed in BrickLink, BrickOwl, BrickSet, Rebrickable and others. The problem isn't missing pieces, the problem is I have 40 years of Lego sets mixed together, and little bandwidth to undo that. Thousands upon thousands of unique pieces, not enogh space to get them organized and useful. Past attempts to sort have failed because kids and pets and work and space, but with the 3D printer out of commission until my replacement motor gets here, I'm trying to tackle it now that all the kids have been moved downstairs :)

Here's a rough estimate of the sets I should have:

https://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-Brentnauer

There are more, this list doesn't account for the sets I acquired on Facebook Marketplace.

Among those is every Lego Dimensions (including the ones only given away at a Con), most of the Lego Ideas sets released in the last several years, most of the modular buildings... And the first few bags of the UCS Millennium Falcon. The pictures below are only what's in this room - I have this stuff scattered all down the hallway, into our room and into my wife's office. 30 to 40 grand sitting here if I can parse through it and sell it as complete sets.

So based on all that... I just can't bring myself to add more to the pile. Time to get rid of it all and use it as part of a down payment on getting us off the grid.

Also, a homestead? Like out in the country? I'd be interested to see photos from that.
Yep, we own 20 acres in Okanogan county, way up in northeast Washington. It's raw land, some trees, running water in the corner during the spring. We are looking elsewhere for a place that has a bit more of a head-start though, and will probably flee the west coast to head towards Alabama or Missouri. Somewhere like that. We're actively searching and preparing, liquidating the Lego is part of that process :)

The goal is 100% off-grid permaculture homestead. Goats, chickens, rabbits, maybe eventually some pigs and a cow way down the road. Depends on the size of the land, but 5 acres minimum. 15-20 is my sweet spot.

image.webp

image.webp

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem isn't missing pieces, the problem is I have 40 years of Lego sets mixed together, and little bandwidth to undo that. Thousands upon thousands of unique pieces, not enogh space to get them organized and useful. Past attempts to sort have failed because kids and pets and work and space, but with the 3D printer out of commission until my replacement motor gets here, I'm trying to tackle it now that all the kids have been moved downstairs :)
That's why I linked Hackaday, I've seen some advanced lego sorters on there.

There's also stuff like this; https://www.instructables.com/Lego-Brick-Sorter/

It might help, even if just a bit it may be better than nothing.

Here's a rough estimate of the sets I should have:

https://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-Brentnauer

There are more, this list doesn't account for the sets I acquired on Facebook Marketplace.

Among those is every Lego Dimensions (including the ones only given away at a Con), most of the Lego Ideas sets released in the last several years, most of the modular buildings... And the first few bags of the UCS Millennium Falcon. The pictures below are only what's in this room - I have this stuff scattered all down the hallway, into our room and into my wife's office. 30 to 40 grand sitting here if I can parse through it and sell it as complete sets.

So based on all that... I just can't bring myself to add more to the pile. Time to get rid of it all and use it as part of a down payment on getting us off the grid.
Yeah that's a lot.. I would maybe buy some if you get it all sorted. Lunar Lander looks good, I may also be interested in sets that have technic pieces or other interesting pieces, I might look through it more later.

Yep, we own 20 acres in Okanogan county, way up in northeast Washington. It's raw land, some trees, running water in the corner during the spring. We are looking elsewhere for a place that has a bit more of a head-start though, and will probably flee the west coast to head towards Alabama or Missouri. Somewhere like that. We're actively searching and preparing, liquidating the Lego is part of that process :)

The goal is 100% off-grid permaculture homestead. Goats, chickens, rabbits, maybe eventually some pigs and a cow way down the road. Depends on the size of the land, but 5 acres minimum. 15-20 is my sweet spot.
I'm also interested in getting land at some point, might get land in Iceland or maybe somewhere abroad, haven't decided anything with that. I do wish to grow things and build myself a place but its a later time thing for me at this point.