Texas Emergency - Where is the national guard?

PaulaJedi

Rift Surfer
note: I don’t claim to know all the facts, so feel free to add to this or correct me. This is my perception. 

So, much, if not all, of Texas is out of power due to a heavy snow storm. The rural residents have wells, which only run on electricity AND I’m sure the pump can freeze up.  Thousands have no water. What is sleepy Joe doing about it? Why isn’t the national guard evacuating people or delivering supplies, like water?

When flooded Louisiana was ignored for 3 days, they cried racism.  Is Texas not being helped because of political bias? Or, if it is indeed being helped, where is the media coverage?

Feel free to share what you know. I rely on real people and do not watch fake news. 

Greetings! I live in Texas. What you are hearing about is true. Texans are having an apocalyptic week regarding the weather, power for heating their homes in single digits, and no water/boil notices for millions. There are gas/food shortages, the roads have been extremely unsafe to get any help in. We were without power for 30+hours. When it would come on, it would be for minutes and then go off for many hours. Some hospitals/clinics had no water for flushing toilets and fires at places could not be extinguished because the water hydrants were frozen. We literally found a frozen bird stuck in our magnolia tree. Crickets from the top leaders at the beginning and now finger pointing to everyone but themselves -even taking vacations. The infrastructure was in need of desperate upgrading for years and there of course are issues about selling that excess energy to places other than Texas for a rainy day situations. I hear FEMA is helping with generators, food and water now that things are thawing. I wish it were not some political firestorm. Texas is in an alternative universe somehow. 

Hey PaulaJedi, thanks for thinking of Texas. 

I'll just bet lots of folks that survive will be getting whole house generators with large propane storage tanks to run the generator. And plenty of food storage for the next time this happens. I was researching the Tesla power wall. Turns out that storage system would not have worked in the cold temperatures experienced in Texas. Although solar panels would work in the cold. There is no reliable way to store the energy from the sun yet that would provide backup power in very cold climates.

It is wild. Almost like some sort of deserted island. We were lucky to have antique gas heaters, gas water heater and fireplace with some wood. Having natural gas was a life saver too. Even gas heaters for central systems need electric to run the blowers. There are hospitals/clinics in Austin without water today. They can’t wash their hands and flush toilets.  It is a crisis honestly from my point of view.  

I live in the countryside in the Hill Country of Texas.   I would say I, as did my neighbors, weathered the winter storm better than others.  But then preparation does go a long way.  Why would anyone hope for rescue from any government agency? 

You can stock up almost everything that you'd need during a storm such as this one.   The disturbing issue was that once again, people in town ransacked the grocery stores with panic buying.   I believe that those that experienced this storm had a wake up call.   Learn to be prepared and more self-sufficient.   

And learn what's a no-no ~ sitting in your car with the engine on in a closed garage to warm up will kill you.  Using some type of fuel burning equipment in a non-ventilated room will also kill you.   Governmental agencies AND the utility companies ALL issued statement(s) to stay off the roads, and it was surprising how many people didn't heed the warnings and took to the roads anyway.  

We didn't - and still don't - need the National Guard.   

Neighbors helping neighbors.  That's how we survived.  And that's how it should be.   

[QUOTE='m0nique23]It is wild. Almost like some sort of deserted island. We were lucky to have antique gas heaters, gas water heater and fireplace with some wood. Having natural gas was a life saver too. Even gas heaters for central systems need electric to run the blowers. There are hospitals/clinics in Austin without water today. They can’t wash their hands and flush toilets.  It is a crisis honestly from my point of view.  
[/QUOTE]For those of us that live in Texas, there is a group that discusses preparation for instances when you have to survive.   The group generally is non-partisan ( although politics are hard to escape anywhere ) and is NOT a militia.  The group does not promote violence.  The main focus is on preparation and education for surviving.  

https://texaspreparednessgroup.ning.com/ 

I'm of the same screen name there.   ?  

'KerrTexas]For those of us that live in Texas said:
Thank you KerrTexas for sharing. I always appreciate reading your insights, perspectives and Texas charm :) We told the kiddos that we were pioneers on the old west cooking cowboy food...lol. A Girl Scout is always prepared too   ;)  

Sending love to y’all in the Hill Country!