For Theists

Dizzie

Timekeeper
As a believer in God and as one who practices religion, I have a peculiar habit that pops up from time to time in prayer. As a child, I considered whether God had the power to change the past. I came to the conclusion that an omnipotent being would have nothing to prevent such an act. In other words, "Why not?"

Therefore, from time to time, I find myself praying about the past. I pray more for a general blessing over the past rather than for any specific changes. I usually just pray in faith that God will bless whatever past timeframe in my life and/or the lives of others and that, if God sees fit, will change it for the better.

I sometimes ponder over whether anyone's prayers have helped to alter the past. It will seem an exceedingly silly notion to many. Once or twice, I have even brought up this odd topic in a group of fellow believers, only to be met with odd stares and blank faces, other than the notion that perhaps God could bless the past but that there was not a lot of sense dwelling upon it in prayer.

As a disclaimer, while I do believe that God has the power to change the natural course of things in the past, present, and future, it certainly seems that most events stay true to the observable laws of science and nature. Just thought I 'd present this idea for discussion. Perhaps we can refrain, however difficult in this age of interwebs, from devolving into a debate over the existence of God. That is, if anyone finds this concept interesting enough to respond to! :)

As a believer in God and as one who practices religion, I have a peculiar habit that pops up from time to time in prayer. As a child, I considered whether God had the power to change the past. I came to the conclusion that an omnipotent being would have nothing to prevent such an act. In other words, "Why not?"Therefore, from time to time, I find myself praying about the past. I pray more for a general blessing over the past rather than for any specific changes. I usually just pray in faith that God will bless whatever past timeframe in my life and/or the lives of others and that, if God sees fit, will change it for the better.I sometimes ponder over whether anyone's prayers have helped to alter the past. It will seem an exceedingly silly notion to many. Once or twice, I have even brought up this odd topic in a group of fellow believers, only to be met with odd stares and blank faces, other than the notion that perhaps God could bless the past but that there was not a lot of sense dwelling upon it in prayer.
As a disclaimer, while I do believe that God has the power to change the natural course of things in the past, present, and future, it certainly seems that most events stay true to the observable laws of science and nature. Just thought I 'd present this idea for discussion. Perhaps we can refrain, however difficult in this age of interwebs, from devolving into a debate over the existence of God. That is, if anyone finds this concept interesting enough to respond to! :)
You presented a very interesting line of thought, Dizzy.Exodus 32:12 Moses asks of God, "...repent of this evil against thy people."
Exodus 32:14 --- " And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people. "

So God can change His mind when asked.

I believe that time is irrelevant to God.

Don't see any reason why God wouldn't apply a request/prayer/blessing to any particular point in time.

Based on my own experiences, I believe that prayer can somewhat alter the past.

However, I do believe that the Bible is the story of humanity. From creation through to the end of humanity on this Earth. I believe that Genesis is what it is and Revelations will come to pass, regardless of what we do. However, within the covers of the book ( so to speak ) there is some wiggle room.

Generally speaking, don't think it is a good idea to dwell in the past. Although everyone does reflect on the past once in awhile, the time we live in is here and now. I believe that we are taught about ourselves through the trials and tribulations of our experiences and are given the opportunity to evolve individually and as a species. In order to evolve, we have to progress, move forward, and no one can do that if they can't see beyond yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't going to participate in this thread, but I was recently told by my father that a Catholic priest told him that prayer can be retroactive.I was a bit surprised. (BTW, I'm NOT Catholic).

You presented a very interesting line of thought, Dizzy. Exodus 32:12 Moses asks of God, "...repent of this evil against thy people."Exodus 32:14 --- " And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people. "
So God can change His mind when asked.

I believe that time is irrelevant to God.

Don't see any reason why God wouldn't apply a request/prayer/blessing to any particular point in time.

However, I do believe that the Bible is the story of humanity. From creation through to the end of humanity on this Earth. I believe that Genesis is what it is and Revelations will come to pass, regardless of what we do. However, within the covers of the book ( so to speak ) there is some wiggle room.

Generally speaking, don't think it is a good idea to dwell in the past. Although everyone does reflect on the past once in awhile, the time we live in is here and now. I believe that we are taught about ourselves through the trials and tribulations of our experiences and are given the opportunity to evolve individually and as a species. In order to evolve, we have to progress, move forward, and no one can do that if they can't see beyond yesterday.
Great thoughts, KerrT - you bring up a very interesting piece of scripture that is quite unique as I understand it - also quite hopeful! I'd be interested to hear more about your experience with prayer's influence on the past. I would agree that time is irrelevant to God. And while I've been taught to see the Bible as a book of theology, I appreciate your view and find value in it. Your common-sense advice rings true as well.

I wasn't going to participate in this thread, but I was recently told by my father that a Catholic priest told him that prayer can be retroactive.I was a bit surprised. (BTW, I'm NOT Catholic).
I'm glad you chimed in, PJ. That's neat. Having grown up Catholic, it's surprising and not surprising at the same time to hear. On the outset, Catholicism seems straight-laced and bound by millennia of tradition. At the same time, there is a surprising array of beliefs and traditions on specific topics and ideas and a seemingly liberal interpretation of scripture by Catholic scholars. I would have not expected that advice to come from a priest, but perhaps he thought it could help your father in a specific instance. Or, maybe it just came up in conversation. In a way, I suppose that any prayer of penitence is retroactive for the purpose of forgiveness of prior sins. And of course, Catholics are big on penitence and confession!

I didn't participate because I'm not a theist.
Einstein, your mentioning this here really gave me a smile and a chuckle. You have personality for sure. :) Thanks.