"The future ain't what it used to be."

Cosmo's 3D Printer Project Feed

Cosmo

Owner
Staff member
Timekeeper
Along with our primary Twitch channel, TTI also runs a 24/7 stream called TimeTravelInsititute2 for our ongoing projects and other behind the scenes/technical goings-on. Make sure to follow TimeTravelInstitute for regular broadcasts, and TimeTravelInstitute2 for classic Art Bell and a window into whatever weirdness we're up to.

https://twitch.tv/timetravelinstitute[/URL]

I'll do my best to keep this thread up to date with whatever's going on, but you'll always get an alert if you're following us there.

Currently, I am printing the next batch of parts for our Back to the Future Part I Delorean Time Machine build.https://timetravelinstitute.com/blog/lets-build-a-delorean-part-i.8/

https://timetravelinstitute.com/blog/lets-build-a-delorean-part-i.8/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Cosmo...wow, watching that thingy go back and forth is kind of hypnotic.. How much noise does that beast make?

Can't wait to see the finished product! Also noted the design comes with free future updates - very appropriate...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Cosmo...wow, watching that thingy go back and forth is kind of hypnotic.. How much noise does that beast make?

Can't wait to see the finished product! Also noted the design comes with free future updates - very appropriate...
It's actually not too bad. It's noisier if you're right next to it to hear all the movements and things, but in our house there's plenty of ambient noise. Three kids, a dog, a cat, a turtle and always some music going somewhere. We don't notice it at all.

I'll get a proper recording of it in one of the next updates, but about the three minute mark is pretty accurate for what it sounds like when the house is quiet:

Ours is in a great big pine cabinet, meant for a 30-somethign inch TV in the 90s. 7 feet tall and solid wood, so plenty of sound dampening going on. I just never want to move again, it weighs a ton.

Front grille of the DeLorean coming up in another hour or so. Should be done about noon or 1 Pacific.

All done! I will post an update in a bit. The next print feed will be higher quality (webcam through laptop and not OctoPi) and will get some classic Art Bell playing under it.

Getting the next stream set up now, will update first post in the next 20 minutes or so.

Recently I've thought that there are maybe some vague similarities between Bell and Robert Lawrence Kuhn of Closer to Truth.

The Art Bell soundtrack is cool.. reminds me of the days of RealAudio and Netscape Navigator, or maybe it's just my slow internet.. anyway it's all good.

Note to self: Stephen Gibbs interview at the 9 hour mark. Need to look that up and post it separately.

Man, those last prints took a while to clean up. They came out great though, and I'll post a Part III when the wheels have finished :) 24/7 stream seems to be working well! Every now and then one of my kids sticks their face in there and sticks their tongue out.

Man, those last prints took a while to clean up. They came out great though, and I'll post a Part III when the wheels have finished :) 24/7 stream seems to be working well! Every now and then one of my kids sticks their face in there and sticks their tongue out.
Haha hope to see one of the goobers

Alright! Got a new camera that'll actually focus and show what's being done. The "old" camera is now a second angle showing an overhead view. Also fixed some audio buffering going on last day or so.

First half of the frame came out pretty dang good. Monster print for the second half, 36 hours, which I'll start shortly.

Toying with the idea of running some Farscape or other old scifi shows in place of the second camera angle. Let me know what you'd be interested in seeing, might be able to accommodate.

Part III coming today or tomorrow!

Got a bad first layer, this one goes all the way to the outer edges of the build plate where the coating isn't broken in yet. Put down a nice layer of gluestick to help it along and gave it a redo.

I'm imaging Doc Brown with a 3D printer now. Some day, probably when Bob Gale passes on, there has got to be a reboot of the series.

Back