"The future ain't what it used to be."

John Titor and the IBM 5100

CatJammin

How do you use Quotes on here? I was replying to Pro7's post.

You can accomplish quoting a post two ways.

1) You can use the "Quote" UBB function in the "Instant UBB Code" box that appears below your text entry box when you post. Just highlight the text that you want to quote, copy it, hit the "Quote" box and paste the text between the UBB start and end codes.

Or you can type square brackets with "quote" inside them, paste the text and end with a forward slash inside square brackets. "Square brackets" are "[...]".

UBB code always starts with the start code in square brackets "[...]" and ends with the stop code, a forward vergule inside square brackets "[/...]"

Umm I'm not going to nitpick Titor, but if from the future he would he not be aware of of the current push and success towards 64 bit for that reason. Assuming the Ibm 5100 could save the day would be akin to trying to build the Babbage difference engine to solve the old y2k problem, although the Babbage engine suffered from neither bug so I've been told

The IBM 5100 can also be used to access mainframe computers by being a terminal. In case you did not know it, there is also a Terminal Program in Windows, except your Internet Connection is just so automatic you never look at it, but it is there, nonetheless, and you can also get up a Terminal Window and do that bit too. Now, there could also be a reason to use Assembly Language on computers also, I do not know, but I do know that I own (for back then - $150) MASM 5.1 version. Now also if you care to know how they program anything that requires time-critical code even in computer games -- they use Assembly Language (or a step up from machine langauge of the processor) and now even you can learn MASM 6.11 (or 6.14) or whatever version they keep trying to use for free since Visual C++ Express Free Edition downloaded can use MASM 8.0 version but Microsoft does not sell it anymore.
In fact with MASM 6 whatever upgrade version - you can program Windows! and especially Math Routines and all that SSE2 intruction set which is faster than the FPU system (floating-point processor inside the main processor which only used MMX instructions and is now considered slow - although the AMD processor has 14 registers instead of Intel Processor like the Pentium 4 and above which only has 6 or so Registers to through data into), but now some scientists are making super-computers by chaining together video cards - that's right - like the Geforce 8800 card (only certain video cards do this) because they even have a *.PDF file out so in C language they can make these chain of video cards act better than any processor for calculating Math and certain things now, since the video cards have even more Registers to through data in. Registers add numbers and all of that in one-fell swoop through a video card because of graphics, but ignoring the graphics to throw up on the screen -- they use it calculate like a small supercomputer now.

First the program and the video cards capable from Nvidia doing this stuff.............

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda.html

Next if you are so inclined -- try MASM or something similiar like TASM - different programs and free downloads, since you even can download it from Microsoft with the older versions of MASM.

http://www.movsd.com/source.htm

http://ghirai.com/hutch/mmi.html

General book online>................
http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AoA/Windows/index.html

http://www.deinmeister.de/wasmtute.htm

http://www.jorgon.freeserve.co.uk/TestbugHelp/XMMfpins2.htm

http://doc.ddart.net/asm/Microsoft_MASM_Programmers_Guide_v6.1/

Read the page though.....................
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7A1C9DA0-0510-44A2-B042-7EF370530C64&displaylang=en

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-001650.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa718398.aspx

Now, I am almost sure but can not be really sure that the IBM 5100 had similiar features in its day except less -- and all this kind of stuff can also be done up to the current day.

It takes (someone said on one of those websites) 100,000kB to write a Windows program (get a Window up) in C++ or C programming language -- in Assembly Language -- it takes probably around 4096 bytes to make a Window and that still can be done today. Although MASM 6.11 or 6.14 or whatever version it is -- was actually for ms-dos and Windows 2, 3, 3.0, 3.11, it also can be used for Windows 95, Windows 98, and now upgraded by people for even Windows 2K which is the core of Windows XP. Mainly in Visual Studio. NET a version similiar is used for - inline - functions and routines requiring speed like all that Math and Graphics of a 3D engine, you still can use 32-bit MASM version 6.11.

I am sure that similiar things can be done probably with the IBM 5100, but again, everything is different and still it is somewhat similiar.

Different strokes for different folks!

And now I have given myself more to do, and I had enough to learn with DirectX even, but still others have done it in Assembly Language up to DirectDraw which was and is still included after version 7 (and now 9 or 10 version) of Direct X.

It depends how you want to program -- even though not cross-platform unless you use a Compiler for Assembly Language and included the modules for say -- Linex -- or Unix -- or some other Operating System you may use. Just some Modules of Code have to be different depending on platform. It is more work, but then, any game engine or anything else that requires fast processing needs in the end -- Assembly Language.

I,m sure you wish to believe what you believe but that does little to answer the truth that 32 bit architecture will be a dino by 2038. Even in windows based operating systems. Heres a little prediction of my own using a computer from 1975 to interface with a circa 2038 system is going to be an masterpiece of hacks. Not to be disbarring but here a little prophecy of my own you show me a "working interface" between an Ibm 5100 and the current system of the era and I'll bow and buy the beer.

Do you think serial and parallel ports are going to be there forever seriously..

I tried to get qbicle to answer my question. Never answered. Anyways maybe you guys can help:

Here is a copy of the recent post:

Re: about this ZESHUA character<--- [re: qbicle]
11/18/07 10:19 PM (71.221.144.190) Edit Reply

Hey.. how nice to find someone who knows alot about computers.

I got a question.

What IF...

a computer that did 1,2,3, sequences first instead of the usual 0,1,2,3 sequences?

What would that tell you? I am curious...

thanks for answering if you do.

just like the old 5 inch floppy disks. They arent used anymore. Yup I can only assume that by the year 2038, we will be having probably 256 bit architecture or maybe more, the way we are progressing with cpu technology.

Do to the silicon barriers in speed and heat we will probably go into multi core processor like up to 16 processors and have parallel processing application to get the performance boost. As a friendly note I did a tiny bit of research on 32 bit and 64 bit processors and found that there was a bit of a performance penalty going from 32 bit 64 bit applications. Yes 64 bits is here to stay but I will bet the industry will go to 16 parallel processors instead of a 256-bit processor. I also found out some where in the past Intel is working on an optical transistor. They said that they need to use exotic materials to make it work and it will take some time.

from my experience, i'd say that operating systems will become even more rescource hungry, dos will keep disapeering until its nonexsistant, L2 cpu cache will probably get a giant increase, ram will probably end up being extremely high bandwidth, probably 16-32 lanes, new ports such as pci-e 500x,gpu's will probably end up having multiple sets of advanced shaders and going the way cpu upgrades are going, and all of these will probably be extremely small because of new manufacturing proccesses. they will be smaller, use less energy, and produce less heat with more efficiency.

Designer,

I also found out some where in the past Intel is working on an optical transistor. They said that they need to use exotic materials to make it work and it will take some time.

Correct. Two professors at my alma mater, UC Santa Barbara, received the Nobel for chemistry in 2000 for developing electro-optical polymers to be used in opto transistor technology.

Dr. Kroemer is a professor in the EE/CE department and is a PhD in theoretical physics, Dr. Heeger si the Director of the Institute of Polymers and Organic Solids Institute and also teaches in the physics department at UCSB.

I remember when the school first made the announcement prior to the Nobel committees meeting. It was an exciting discovery for our community in and around UCSB.

Here's the press release from UCSB:

http://www.ia.ucsb.edu/pa/display.aspx?pkey=491

I think optical transistors technology can probably eliminate the heat barrier I hope and thus go at a faster GHz. For current technology to get to a faster rate they have been changing the silicon to reducing voltage and also shrinking the die to make it work at a faster GHz. But the big question is, are we at we end of the road for old-fashioned silicon? If I read the correctly from the magazine Intel manufacturing process could be a problem for optical transistors to work thus resulting in cost.

its funny you mentioned "exotic materials" .. yup this is what I was thinking all along. Sooner or later manufacturers will have to start using these "exotic materials" to make specific things. /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I do believe that we are slowly converting our technology from metallic to organic.. then later on in the future, perhaps to light technology. (dont misunderstand what I mean by that.. Im talking about computers as a example using nothing but "programmed" light)

That would be cool. A modern science fiction book of some kind talking about computers using nothing but holographic imagery (light technology) and such alike. That science fiction part might as well become fact someday.

"I think optical transistors technology can probably eliminate the heat barrier I hope and thus go at a faster GHz. For current technology to get to a faster rate they have been changing the silicon to reducing voltage and also shrinking the die to make it work at a faster GHz."

getting more ghz isnt the problem, the problem is to get more out of each cycle. just cause a proscessor is 3ghz doesnt mean its blazing fast. more power per cycle is the goal. big bandwidth low-latency stuff is they way of the future.

...curse you howard hughes!

Re: The Beginning of the end

a proof of evil use of IBM 5100 to create a virus?

Was Pro7 always Right?
quoted:

<font color="blue"> ****UPDATE****

I was reading some white dove thread? While my buddy FINALLY called. I have no idea what time it is in India but its really late here, 11:15pm he called, just got done grilling him with questions. Here's the rundown folks.

This is a new threat, a completely new type of virus that their labs have never seen before. Its (and I quote) "polymorphic" and contains all of the following.

(Below are some of the notes I took while on the phone.)

A rootkit
An internal botnet network
A backdoor
An internal clock? (not sure what this means really)
An internal port scanner
An internal assembly compiler/decompiler
Internal compression algorithms
Multiple unknown (as of yet) object libraries
Internal security of some kind
An advanced AI engine to detect attempts to remove it
It also attacks all known anti-virus programs attempting to disable/remove them. [/COLOR]

<font color="red"> A Cross platform compiler? (I'm not sure what this is either but he says it allows the program to be executed on Linux and Windows systems)
And as I said, my buddy says its polymorphic, according to him that means the code itself is constantly changing, encrypting itself and its pattern of recognition.
[/COLOR]

They have no way to make a virus signature yet, and are at a loss for words. I guess this is making its way all the way up the corporate ladder, its big news, but not public yet. He says they have never seen anything like this before, they are calling it a "Super Virus". Sounds fitting to me.

I also asked him how they came across the virus. He said it came from an infected laptop that they brought in to test. But would not say what the source of the laptop was

end quoted

link to GLP

--
Best Regards
/ttiforum/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Recall,

a proof of evil use of IBM 5100 to create a virus?

Where, in any of this, does it say anything about the IBM 5100? As usual, you are stretching stuff further than high grade rubber! /ttiforum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Was Pro7 always Right?

Answer: No. He said nothing like any of the capabilities in this thread you posted. His big thing was that it could (allgedly) execute BASIC code in reverse. And he never showed even why that is novel or unique. He also never said anything about a cross-platform compiler.

R

super virus eh? i dont care how smart a virus ever gets, itll never be able to outsmart the format.

A flashed BIOS remains no matter how many times a hard drive is formatted. Zeshua said a new type of virus would sweep the world.

"A flashed BIOS remains no matter how many times a hard drive is formatted."

not true, you can easily reset a bios. its usually as simple as pulling a 3pin connecter and putting it into 2 of the pins.

not true, you can easily reset a bios. its usually as simple as pulling a 3pin connecter and putting it into 2 of the pins.

Sorry Pal, but you need a new chip to burn the info...

see:
Bios chips info

´Cos your old chip is irreparably damaged by unknow code temper whit...

--
Best Regards

ive done it several times to several different mobos. its usually when my wife forgets her bios password. i can go find documentation if you'd like.

now if you try to flash your bios and you fry it on accident, i dont know if it would work. ive never had that one happen to me.

Back