Esp perhaps found in Japanese Macaque Monkeys

Itheblaze

Chrono Cadet
The Japanese Macaque Monkeys that wash sweet potatoes in the sea or a stream before eating them first learned this novelty from a particular female who decided that the taste of her food was improved by this process. That her new-fangled ways should spread through the whole of her group is not particularly surprising; but what is remarkable is that soon afterwards it was reported that Macaque Monkeys on other islands had begun to wash their food in exactly the same way. Is it possible that some form of animal telepathy was involved? How many of you sometimes feels your animal knows exactly what your thinking?

If I didn't wake up for school my Grandmaw's big, fat, fluffy, calico, Kitty Baby would nudge and paw at me to wake up. I think animals know more than what they let on.

Itheblaze;
It's really not that I feel any need to un-romanticize your stories but I do like to offer the truth to a story, when available.:)

Monkey ESP.
This story, while again a great story, is based on an exaggeration of the actual data from the study of the Japanese Macaque Monkey (Macaca fuscata) by Japanese primatologists in the late 50's and early 60's. This story comes from a brief reference, to an unfounded (by the data) phenomenon, alleged to have occurred, by Dr. Lyall Watson, in his book Lifetide (1979). This reference was developed, by Ken Keyes who wrote the book The Hundredth Monkey, into a method to bring about social change. The truth that the "phenomenon" did not occur as Watson alleged has been available for many years (Ron Amundson 1985) but is not likely to remove the concept from those with an agenda toward steering social change.

Psychic cats and dogs
A study of ethology, perhaps even a simple cursory look, should dispel the notions attributing other-worldly abilities to animals.
The actions of your Grandmother's cat is a consequence of Observational Learning.
You wake up at a consistent time. The cat gets fed or let out or some other interaction with you at this time. The cat survives on an internal timing mechanism which synchronizes with your normal waking time. When you don't wake at that time, it's internal clock and learned behavior kick in and it interacts with you, even though you are still trying to sleep. Most pet owners can relate to this intrusion. And, yes, the behavior can even coincide with your change on weekends. Animal clocks can cover sequences over extended times as evidenced by their mating habits, nomadic traits, and our 7 day schedules.

I've said it before and I will say it again, Walt Disney was the worst perpetrator of giving animals attributes they simply do not possess.

There are countless stories of animals saving lives. Here is one. Davide Ceci was 14 yr old and couldn't swim when he fell off his Father's boat in south-east Italy. He was within minutes of death when dolphin Filippo came to his rescue. Filippo had been a popular tourist attraction off Manfredonia in south-east Italy for two years. While Emanuele Ceci was still unaware his son had fallen into the waves, Filippo was pushing him up out of the water to safety. The dolphin bore down on the boat and got close enough for Davide's Father to grab him. Davide's Mother Signora Ceci said:"It is a hero, it seems impossible an animal could have done something like that, to feel the instinct to save a human life." Filippo has lived in the waters off Manfredonia since he became separated from a visiting school of dolphins. Maritime researcher Dr. Giovanna Barbieri said: " Filippo seems not to have the slightest fear of humans. I'm not surprised he should have done such a wonderful thing as to save a human."

The rest of this story is quite sad but the story reveals why this dolphin, might have done, what it is alleged to have done.

Dolphin ambassador killed - IrishDolphins.com

An important thing to understand is, this dolphin wasn't engaging in an activity not part of it's natural activities. Any reputable animal trainer will candidly tell you they can not train an animal to engage in a behavior that is not a natural behavior. They can somewhat modify the behavior but not elicit anything non-natural.