Revised Renaissance History

The following paragraphs in this first post show a series of lists comprising a 3rd proposed change in history. The 1st one is about physically/genetically equating cat and dog years with human years. The 2nd one centers around modern Judaism. This 3rd one involves adding pioneer Renaissance figures to selected nations of Europe: Italy, Spain, France, Germany, England, and Russia. In current history as we know it, the Renaissance, which is said to have originated in Florence, Italy, took quite a while for the most part to be spread outside of Italy, although it entered certain nations like Spain earlier on, as I recall. This thread entails shortening this process, hence the introduction of additional pioneer Renaissance men. As can be inferred from the following paragraphs, the Renaissance goes from Italy to Spain around 1375, as well as other nations afterward, leading up to its entry into Russia around 1395. After the Renaissance enters Russia, there is a highly mobilized mainstream movement that spreads it to the rest of Europe, a process finalizing by around 1400.

Some Main Early Figures of the Italian Renaissance (1300-1600)

1. Dante Alighieri (1265-1321), Italian literary figure
  2. Giotto di Bondone (c. 1270-1337), Italian painter and architect
  3. Giuseppe Abruzzo (1279-1340), Italian poet, playwright, and philosopher
  4. Giovanni Castagnini (1282-1354), Italian painter
  5. Giacomo Gabatti (1288-1367), Italian sculptor
  6. Francesco Bontadini (1296-1373), Italian architect
  7. Francesco Petrarca (Petrarch) (1304-1374), Italian scholar
  8. Giovanni Boccaccio (1313-1375), Italian writer
  9. Luciano Marrone (1340-1410), earliest composer of the Italian Renaissance (also a scholar, poet, playwright, philosopher, painter, sculptor, and architect)

Some Main Early Figures of the Spanish Renaissance (1375-1600)

1. Miguel Vasquez (1343-1418), Spanish scholar, poet, playwright, philosopher, painter, sculptor, architect, and composer (imported the Renaissance into Spain in 1375, and the first Spanish composer to compose Renaissance music)
  2. Jose Delarosa (1344-1406), Spanish poet, playwright, and philosopher
  3. Domingo Zorrilla (1345-1413), Spanish painter
  4. Pablo Escobar (1347-1421), Spanish sculptor
  5. Ramon Garriga (1349-1429), Spanish architect

Some Main Early Figures of the French Renaissance (1380-1600)

1. Jacques Bonneville (1348-1424), French scholar, poet, playwright, philosopher, painter, sculptor, architect, and composer (imported the Renaissance into France in 1380, and the first French composer to compose Renaissance music)
  2. Guillaume Pelletier (1349-1413), French poet, playwright, and philosopher
  3. Pierre Letellier (1350-1423), French painter
  4. Jean Chagnon (1352-1429), French sculptor
  5. Jacques Echard (1354-1435), French architect

Some Main Early Figures of the German Renaissance (1385-1600)

1. Heinrich Becker (1353-1431), German scholar, poet, playwright, philosopher, painter, sculptor, architect, and composer (imported the Renaissance into the German states in 1385, and the first German composer to compose Renaissance music)
  2. Johann Buckner (1354-1423), German poet, playwright, and philosopher
  3. Georg von Ehrhorn (1355-1431), German painter
  4. Wilhelm Treuherz (1357-1432), German sculptor
  5. Ludwig Burbach (1359-1442), German architect

Some Main Early Figures of the English Renaissance (1390-1600)

1. John Taylor (1358-1440), English scholar, poet, playwright, philosopher, painter, sculptor, architect, and composer (imported the Renaissance into England in 1390, and the first English composer to compose Renaissance music)
  2. Richard Woodard (1359-1432), English poet, playwright, and philosopher
  3. John Seagraves (1360-1438), English painter
  4. William Prestridge (1362-1436), English sculptor
  5. Henry Palmore (1364-1448), English architect

Some Main Early Figures of the Russian Renaissance (1395-1600)

1. Vasily Malikov (1364-1441), Russian poet, playwright, and philosopher
  2. Yuri Artamov (1365-1447), Russian painter
  3. Boris Kafelnikov (1366-1449), Russian sculptor
  4. Mikhail Obolensky (1367-1451), Russian architect
  5. Ivan Petrov (1368-1453), Russian scholar, poet, playwright, philosopher, painter, sculptor, architect, and composer (imported the Renaissance into Russia in 1395, and the first Russian composer to compose Renaissance music)

Note

• All the names in these lists were invented, with the exceptions of Dante, Giotto, Petrarch, and Boccaccio in the Italian Renaissance list. Of these four, Dante and Petrarch are famous, Giotto and Boccaccio being somewhat as such.

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Cosmo1598825723 - I'm a big fan of classical music, as can be inferred by my username and avatar, anyway. I also admire the benefits of artistic movements of Western culture like the Renaissance. My interest in classical music and the arts of Western culture kindled my interest in enhancing the history of the Renaissance.

As to what this would change in our history, I'd say a lot more art and music to admire.

As to your comment of how long (or short) this period is, it works like this: I have the Renaissance lasting throughout Europe from anywhere between about 1300 and 1400 (depending on the region) to about 1600. The several years immediately before and including 1600 mark the beginning of the next big artistic movement succeeding the Renaissance, the Baroque era.

Essentially, Europe will be enjoying the Renaissance a lot longer as well as sooner than it did in these times. For instance, England was in many ways a medieval society until about the late 1400s, so they were slow in getting out of the Renaissance and into the Baroque era, and I'm thinking they entered the Baroque era later on in the 1600s. The universe likes speed, so the whole point of an earlier Renaissance is to get Western culture and the rest of the world to advance faster, as well as making the movement go on at roughly the same time between Italy and the rest of Europe.

Does this explanation help?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it's been over a week since I last posted here! Anyway, I'm gonna elaborate on six of these early Renaissance figures, each from a different country and all of them known for being diverse Renaissance men. Each post in this thread from this one onward (that isn't a reply) will focus on a different Renaissance man, the first one being Luciano Marrone from Italy.

Luciano Marrone was an Italian scholar, literary figure, painter, sculptor, and architect, as well as the first composer of Renaissance music. Luciano was born in Florence on June 27, 1340. He knew figures such as Petrarch and Boccaccio personally.

Luciano began composing in 1357 and completed his first compositions that year, and from then until 1361, his compositions demonstrated a mastery of the late medieval style typical of Francesco Landini, an Italian composer and contemporary of Luciano. In 1361, his compositional style began to change, showing influences of humanism and the latest developments in the arts, becoming increasingly distinctive compared to Landini and other Italian composers of the time, up to 1365.

From that point, Luciano’s compositional style developed further, stretching the limits of medieval music and verging progressively on a Renaissance style, as well as becoming more unique in Italy than ever before. By the spring of 1370, Luciano had broken the bounds of medieval musical styles, and had developed the earliest form of what is now known as Renaissance music. By 1372, the latest developments in music, art, architecture, sculpture, and literature had spread throughout Italy and by 1400, throughout Europe.

Luciano is also known for inventing the universal standard of concert pitch of the modern era in instruments and the human voice. He perfected this tuning standard in 1365, just as his compositional style was starting to push increasingly forward from the Medieval to the Renaissance. Before 1365, there was no universal standard of tuning, and musical pitch was determined by the moods and whims of singers and musicians and varied from place to place. Before more modern methods of measuring pitch were developed, Luciano’s tuning technique was known as the Marronian standard. Luciano’s own method of measuring pitch, used to support his tuning standard, was in mainstream popularity until the 19th century, when a German physicist named Hertz developed an alternative technique (i.e. The A above middle C on the modern 88-key piano is measured at 440 Hz).

Luciano died in Florence on July 17, 1410, at the age of 70.

Notes:

1. To make things clearer, Hertz did not change concert pitch at all, but simply invented a new way of measuring concert pitch. Luciano Marrone created concert pitch; Hertz just measured it in a new way.
  2. I don't yet have an idea how Luciano will create his version of concert pitch; it's just a rough idea right now.

• 1 month later...

This next post of mine is long overdue, and I apologize for that. Anyway, the next Renaissance man I cover is Miguel Vasquez of Spain.

Miguel Vasquez was a Spanish scholar and contemporary of the Italian Luciano Marrone, and by 1375 and after, became a man of many talents. Miguel was born in Valencia on May 20, 1343. In 1368 he sailed across the Mediterranean Sea and settled in Florence where he met Marrone and other early Renaissance figures in the area.

Miguel returned to Spain in 1375 a changed man and had imported the Renaissance into his country. Over the next couple of years, as the Renaissance was spreading throughout Spain and neighboring Portugal, he was taking up the trades of Marrone and also wrote about promoting an ideology borrowed from his Italian friend: religious toleration.

Miguel died in Valencia on July 27, 1418, at the age of 75.

Notes:

• Although this life story of Miguel Vasquez is brief compared to the one about Luciano Marrone, I've just noted that he and Miguel were key promoters of religious toleration, which is important because it results in important changes in European history. Religious toleration has a major impact on Europe since Marrone first instigated it, first on the common people, and from there to the European ruling classes, aristocracies, and other people of upper classes. The ideology is adopted by the ruling classes to an extent, by the aristocracies to a greater extent, and especially to non-noble people of upper classes as well as to commoners.
    • This process gets more recognition with the presence of eastern Slavic Jewish missionaries in the rest of Europe, obviously including Spain and Portugal; this is a result of the aftermath of the arrival of the Renaissance to Russia, which I'll get to later.
    • With religious toleration and Jewish missionary activity mainstream, around 15% of every European nationality/ethnicity outside the eastern Slavs converts to Judaism. (About 30% of eastern Slavs are already Jewish.)
    • There are two other major results of these prior events. One is that the Spanish Inquisition is crippled since Spain's Jews are immune to it. The other is that there is no attempt at all by the Spanish Armada to invade England. Both are caused by fears of war with Russia (30% Jewish). (All of Europe by 1492 is connected commercially and financially, as it has been since 1400 or before. A persecution of Jews in Spain would provoke outrage in Russia. Similarly, an outrage in Russia would be provoked if Roman Catholic Spain were to engage in religious warfare with Protestant England or any other non-Roman Catholic nation. Spain's Jews would obviously not desire to make England a Roman Catholic country, and Russia's Jews would want to defend those of Spain.)

That's it for now. More to come later.

The next Renaissance man covered here is Jacques Bonneville of France.

Jacques Bonneville was a French scholar who had become a Renaissance man by 1380 after his return to France following a stay in Italy. Jacques was born in Paris on July 7, 1348. He left his native war-torn France in 1373 and ventured into the northern Italian city-states where he learned a great deal about the widespread revival of ancient Greek and Roman learning and the advances in art, architecture, music, literature, and sculpture. Jacques was so enthralled by his discoveries that when he left Italy, he was determined to bring the Renaissance to France.

He returned to Paris in 1380, at a time when war was still ravaging France. Jacques brought back souvenirs from Italy, promoted his discoveries among common folk and the nobility alike, and shared his philosophies with government officials and administrators. These authorities were equally as fascinated as Jacques was, already having suffered exhaustion from warfare. Beginning the year Jacques returned to France, England cared less and less for French territory and warfare, as wealthy French merchants were increasingly becoming patrons of the arts.

The French administrators and officials realized that in order for their country to continue flourishing intellectually in a progressive manner, they had to stop waging war with England. By 1382, a peaceful settlement was arranged between officials and administrators of both England and France. The English Channel was recognized by both sides as a border between English and French territories, and England abandoned its holdings in French-inhabited lands, restoring them to France.

Jacques died in Paris on October 2, 1424, at the age of 76.

Notes:

• As can be inferred, the entry of the Renaissance to France in 1380 results in the aforementioned 1382 peace treaty between that country and England; that treaty brings to an end what is known as the Hundred Years' War in this timeline, with the war ending in 1453 rather than the early 1380s. If I can recall correctly, the war began in 1337, so an ending in 1382/1383 would obviously make the war be known as something else, maybe the Forty Years' War, the Anglo-French War, or the Franco-English War.
  • While the people of England neglect to import the Renaissance into their country during the 1380s, the movement would make its way over to England early in the following decade.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I won't be posting in threads like these anymore, at least not for right now. I've just started publishing articles here at TTI, so you can follow me here.

Around the time of this post, I've published only one article (which is about cats and dogs), but there will be more to come soon. :)

• Like 2
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.