Cats and dogs living into their 70s, 80s, 90s, and beyond

Classicalfan626

Greetings! This is my first post at the creative writing forum at TTI.

This thread is about doing justice to our feline and canine family and friends. I'm sure most people can agree on this: cat and dog lives are too short. But now I have a rough blueprint in my head that will make them live longer lives.

This is going back a long time in history, I'm talking thousands if not millions of years. That long ago, through selective breeding and hybrids, cats and dogs came to be, and became lovable additions to the family. But as I said before, cat and dog lives are too short. Cats at maximum generally live not that much beyond 15, and dogs generally only live between 10 to 17 years, depending on the size and breed among other things. And when cats and dogs reach the end of their lives, it leaves their human family members heartbroken.

The problem is that there are about 7 dog years per human year; and I'm not 100% sure about cats, but I know that there's way more than one cat year per human year.

I plan on making cat and dog years equal to those of humans, and although I don't have an exact way of doing this, I imagine it'll involve going back millennia or millions of years. Then, I'd get the idea in individuals' (human and/or ET) heads through the power of the mind that we have to slow down the biological clocks in cats and dogs. And through mind power, intelligent individuals, and/or hyper-advanced computers, that shall be done, well before their modern conception, until the common ancestors of cats and dogs age comparably to humans.

To my knowledge, there's a rare human disorder in which certain people age exponentially more rapidly than normal humans, and die of age-related causes far too soon. Due to this, I'm assuming that cats and dogs have a sort of strain of this disorder. And disorders such as these I assume can be cured through superior technology as well as advanced knowledge. Some people might say that cats and dogs age more rapidly than humans due to their smaller size. But I know that's likely not the case, because there are animals out there that have a larger size than people, including elephants and horses; and elephants don't live quite as long as people, and horses I think only live into their 20s or 30s, which is obviously considered young in people!

Notes:

• Logically in this alternate history (which should be translated into a reality, by the way), cats should generally live to be anywhere between 80 and 140 years (or in some cases, greater), and dogs should live somewhere between 70 and 120 years on average!
  • The reason I came up with this idea is that I consider the dogs in my household to be my siblings, so it's only fair that dogs live about as long as humans. And I figured I should do the same with cats, which are also hugely popular domesticated animals.

• Like 1

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@PaulaJedi - You raised a good point. But did you forget that although baby animals are lifeless prey, they have their biological mothers and/or fathers to look after them and protect them from harm? That is a general rule, and this is likewise the same with human babies.

As for answering the second part of your question, I'd say it's pretty much the latter, which is altering genetics.

• Like 1

@PaulaJedi - You raised a good point. But did you forget that although baby animals are lifeless prey, they have their biological mothers and/or fathers to look after them and protect them from harm? That is a general rule, and this is likewise the same with human babies.

As for answering the second part of your question, I'd say it's pretty much the latter, which is altering genetics.

I still can't help but argue that a kitten wasn't naturally designed to be a kitten for 3 years like human babies. You would be trying to apply human characteristics to an animal that evolution designed for a reason. Can a mother cat lactate for 3 years to feed her kitten?

I'm pretty sure evolution is already changing house cats genetically, and quickly, actually...quickly compared to millions of years! Cats and dogs life spans are ALREADY getting longer. I had a cat live to 17.5 years and some live until 25 yrs.

I do love the idea of having my pet with me my entire life, but it would take careful manipulation.

• Like 2

I still can't help but argue that a kitten wasn't naturally designed to be a kitten for 3 years like human babies. You would be trying to apply human characteristics to an animal that evolution designed for a reason. Can a mother cat lactate for 3 years to feed her kitten?

In answer to your question there, absolutely! If a human mother can lactate for that long to feed her human baby, why can't it possibly be the case with felines? (rhetorical question) You know, I'm not all buying into this evolution theory that's been firmly taught in mainstream schools. Sure, evolution may be a factor, but only a minor one. I'm very certain ETs played a major role in genetics and hybrids, because according to a general idea found in Ancient Aliens, they made us humans the way we are today, and we didn't simply evolve from apes. They even allegedly made hybrids between humans and cats or dogs or etc. Sure, Ancient Aliens is likely not 100% accurate, but it's surely more accurate than what mainstream history and media tells us.

I'm pretty sure evolution is already changing house cats genetically, and quickly, actually...quickly compared to millions of years! Cats and dogs life spans are ALREADY getting longer. I had a cat live to 17.5 years and some live until 25 yrs.

Good observation of the facts, but I think that is more a matter of advances in medicine compared to hundreds of years ago, although they could very well have lived longer lives in ancient times.

I do love the idea of having my pet with me my entire life, but it would take careful manipulation.

Perhaps it would take careful manipulation, perhaps not. Who's to say for sure? But anyway, as for referring to cats and dogs as "pets", I hear that's recently been considered to be a derogatory term for them. Sure, there may be a lot of crazy ideas out there these days, and you're entitled to your opinion, of course. But that idea happens to be right up my alley! I think calling a cat or dog a pet implies that they should be considered property, when in reality they're more like feline and canine family and friends. I myself don't refer to the dogs we adopted as pets.

• Like 1

Perhaps it would take careful manipulation, perhaps not. Who's to say for sure? But anyway, as for referring to cats and dogs as "pets", I hear that's recently been considered to be a derogatory term for them. Sure, there may be a lot of crazy ideas out there these days, and you're entitled to your opinion, of course. But that idea happens to be right up my alley! I think calling a cat or dog a pet implies that they should be considered property, when in reality they're more like feline and canine family and friends. I myself don't refer to the dogs we adopted as pets.

People may bring up an ethics aspect as well. Is it humane to experiment? Things could go wrong. I'm sort of on the fence. I don't want to harm animals in any way shape or form, but some animal studies have helped humans survive. (I also love animals but eat meat). Tough to be human and have morals, isn't it?

• Like 1

Every dog my family has owned has lived past 14 years, except a Maltese terrier that had epilepsy.

My father as a child had a huge black poodle and it lived till almost 16 years.

Not really a cat person but have one atm hes not bad a big sucker.

So you plan on extending their lives all by yourself?

Maybe when you get contact with the Aliens, they will help you otherwise dogs, cats and pets lives will remain unchanged.

How long do you actually want them to live? while they are stumbling around blind/deaf.

• Like 1

@PaulaJedi - As for being humane, anything that will bring benefit to felines and canines should suffice.

@Mayhem:

Good questions! Anyway, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure if I'll be changing anything in history all by myself or not. But I only have a rough idea. I'll have to see how it all unfolds when I come in contact with ETs.

As for how long I want cats and dogs to live, you can refer to the very first post in this thread, towards the very end, where I say this:

Logically in this alternate history (which should be translated into a reality, by the way), cats should generally live to be anywhere between 80 and 140 years (or in some cases, greater), and dogs should live somewhere between 70 and 120 years on average!

As for blindness and deafness in cats and dogs, I think I'll let their human families decide what to do to help them, even if it means putting them to sleep.

And I consider you lucky for almost all the dogs in your family living beyond 14. :) It's certainly not unheard of to have a dog die or be put to sleep at under 14, especially big dogs like Great Danes.

If you could prolong an animal's life, who's to say you couldn't do the same with humans?

Exactly. I also plan on making certain people live a lot longer than they did, and I also have a rough idea of making it more common for people to live past 100, with numerous cases ranging into the 120s, 130s, 140s, and even 150s! Although of course living to 120 or beyond will be less common.

With the feral cat and dog issue, would it even be a good idea at this time, to extend their lifespans? Don't know if you've seen photos of how many animals a shelter kills in a day, but, shouldn't we solve the population problem first?

Alphabet Incorporated is actually working on longevity, I don't know if you could call it evolution, since they are using advancements in technology to convert humans to more machine than biological entities.

• Like 2

" While my book Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea is entirely a work of imagination, my conviction is that all I said in it will come to pass. " ~ Jules Verne

@KerrTexas - Overpopulation shouldn't really be an issue; if ever this planet had a serious problem with that, we could disperse elsewhere and colonize another planet. But do you know how many babies are killed (aborted) before they're even born?

And thank you for informing me about Alphabet Inc., and that's an interesting idea they have. I don't know if it would work out well, though, but you never know for certain.

@KerrTexas - Overpopulation shouldn't really be an issue; if ever this planet had a serious problem with that, we could disperse elsewhere and colonize another planet. But do you know how many babies are killed (aborted) before they're even born?

And thank you for informing me about Alphabet Inc., and that's an interesting idea they have. I don't know if it would work out well, though, but you never know for certain.

Alphabet Inc is a very powerful company. Take a look at the list of their acquisitions .

Alphabet Inc. Oh my.

• Like 1

" While my book Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea is entirely a work of imagination, my conviction is that all I said in it will come to pass. " ~ Jules Verne

Didn't mean to interrupt you flow of thoughts here, just thought you might find Alphabet Inc. interesting. They are working more in the Artificial Intelligence arena hoping to integrate machines with humans (Transhumanism). Anyway, am interested in your life extension ideas. There are quite a number of individuals mentioned in the Bible lived many years. Methuselah is said to have lived almost 1,000 years.

• Like 1

Didn't mean to interrupt you flow of thoughts here, just thought you might find Alphabet Inc. interesting. They are working more in the Artificial Intelligence arena hoping to integrate machines with humans (Transhumanism). Anyway, am interested in your life extension ideas. There are quite a number of individuals mentioned in the Bible lived many years. Methuselah is said to have lived almost 1,000 years.

You're not interrupting my flow of thoughts here at all. In fact, I do find the concept of Alphabet Inc. interesting. I even gave a like to that post just before your most recent one. And as for the rest of the post that's quoted in this one, I really appreciate that you're interested in my life extension ideas. :)

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.