"The future ain't what it used to be."

The Nature of Time

Janus:
We agree that the origin of time is a good place to search for the nature of time. The question is what was the origin of time? It has been suggested that time begin with the creation of the universe, however despite our best efforts we can not confirm this. Could it be that time had a different origin then the universe? This may be counter intuitive at frist, but it is a possibility that needs to be explored. This assumes that time is a continuum and had an origin.

Hmm... interesting thought. What first springs to mind is that space and time are not seperate entities, but intimately linked as space-time. Therefore, in our Universe/metaverse/whatever, would it even be possible for the space and time of a region to come into being independantly? Where do you propose we look for the origin of time, if not the origin of space?

In suggesting a different origin for time I in no way imply that time was created in a different universe. We can discover the nature of time within our one universe using accepted principles of physics. Before we start looking for a different origin of time perhaps we should convince ourselves that such an endeavor is worthy of our time. We can do this by examining any evidence that proves time was created at the begining of the universe.
So for we have the ideal that time and space are not seperate entities, but are intimately linked as space-time. When you say that space and time are linked does this not imply that space and time are seperate entities?

"In suggesting a different origin for time I in no way imply that time was created in a different universe."
Neither was I.

"When you say that space and time are linked does this not imply that space and time are seperate entities?"
Not really; it's more a matter of semantics. In our day-to-day lives we certainly see time and space as different entities, and the language has evolved to reflect that. But in physics, spacetime is generally looked at as a single entity, with different aspects showing up as the phenomena we percieve. Did you know that there are formulas by which one can express scalar distances in space-time in units of time? That is, time can be used as a type of distance, just as feet and metres. So there really is a deep link between space and time.

Semantic differences can make it difficult to develop a common understanding of terms. Maybe you can help me with the term entity and explain how a space-time entity can be linked to itself without implying a separation? Could it be that space and time are separate entities with similar properties and that these properties form the link that gives the impression that space and time exist as one entity?

We have been expressing spatial distances in units of time for a while now. I.E. < lightyear > More recently we have been using the light microsecond which equals 299.7924 meters. This may or may not be what you are referring to. Do you feel this unifies space and time into one entity?

Hey Janus, I could not help but to think about ya when I stumbled accross this website.

* Welcome to the Society for Scientific Exploration.
ï‚· Provides a professional forum for presentations, criticism, and debate concerning "topics which are ingored or studied inadequately within mainstream science."

http://www.scientificexploration.org

Topics under investigation cover a wide spectrum. At one end are apparent anomalies in well established disciplines. At the other, we find paradoxical phenomena that belong to no established discipline and therefore may offer the greatest potential for scientific advance and the expansion of human knowledge.

The Society encourages such investigations for several reasons that may appeal to different communities.

To the research scientist, we commend the intellectual challenge of explaining away an apparent anomaly or seizing the new knowledge presented by a real one.

To the student scientist, we point out that science does not begin with textbooks: it begins with the unknown and ends with textbooks.

To the nonscientist, we acknowledge that deep public interest in some of these topics calls for unprejudiced evaluation based on objective research.

To the policy-maker, we point out that today's anomaly may become tomorrow's technology.

Please share your thoughts with us, after you have had some "Time" to absorb some of the information provided there.

p)'i4q4

------------------
Everything you know,...is Wrong!
soon we shall all discover the truth.

<This message has been edited by Time_02112 (edited 14 July 2000).>

Time~Master:
I'm only using the word 'entity' for want of a better one. By it I only mean 'thing' or 'stuff which exists'; spacetime is a single 'thing which can be viewed as something by itself', or something like that; tough topic to describe in English.

My mention of expressing scalars in dimentions of time was indeed different from the use of the light-year. For the life of me I haven't been able to find the equations, though. I'll keep searching. The function of the equations was to equate time with distance in the same way with which we convert a (scalar) distance in the x-direction to one in the y- or z-direction. The transformation was roughly analagous, and permitted the use of time-units to express spacetime distances. The distance between two events would be negative if they were outside each others' light cones, and positive if within. I hope I can find the eq'ns to show you.

I do not believe, from all the evidence I've been exposed to, that space and time are actually distinct and seperate. But it is an interesting topic to discuss.

Time02112:
Unique site you post. It would be interesting to flip through some of their journals. But I would be wary in suggesting that in investigating strange phenomena they have actually proven anything contrary to applicable science. Any proof of such would be welcome.

Oh?...but that (Proof) they have done so!
of course depends upon what one considers to be proof. moreover, another still may argue, whittle away, twist the truth to fit thier own objectional view.

To know what time is you have to look at what we know about time. We know that the faster you go the slower time moves for you.
there for the slower you go the faster time moves for you.
Now the earth is spinning around its axis and it is orbiting the sun. And the sun is probably orbating some thing(a black hole or a larger sun that we see as a star) and that is orbating some thing and so on. Untell finnaly that is orbating around the center of the universe. And if you want to think about it the universe could exist in a multiverse and they could all be orbating some thing.
Any way if the faster you go the slower time moves then you can think of the universe apearing and dissapearing in an instant. But because there are planets inside moveing at high speeds and the fact that we are on one of those planets moveing at a hight speed means that the time we prosseave is affected by that speed.
So time is nonexistant if you can get your self off earth and standing still relative to the rest of the universe.
To make it short Time is a product of motion.

Back